FAQs - Shorter University

How Do I…

How do I find out my GPA?

Each student can see his or her current GPA in Scholar on the Students tab, Grades & Transcripts page.  Open the Final Grade Report or Unofficial Transcript to view the GPA.

How do I add an online class if I am a traditional student?

To take an online course during the fall or spring semesters, traditional students must complete an Online Course Request form.  To take an online course during summer, traditional students can add the course in Scholar.  All forms are available on Scholar on the Students tab.

How do I withdraw from a class?

It is necessary to withdraw from a class if a student no longer wants to be enrolled in the class after the add/drop period ends.  A completed Course Withdrawal form is required, but must be submitted by the deadlines listed on the Academic Calendar.  All forms are available on Scholar on the Students tab.  Online students must contact their Enrollment Specialist.

How do I withdraw from Shorter?

To withdraw from the University entirely during a semester, students must complete a Withdrawal form in the Office of Student Engagement and Success.  To withdraw entirely after completing a semester, students must complete the End of Semester Withdrawal form.  This form is available on Scholar once pre-registration opens each semester, on the Students tab under Advising and Withdrawals.  Online students must contact their Enrollment Specialist.

How do I change my major/minor?

To change majors or minors, students must complete the Change of Major or Change of Minor form. The Change of Major form is also used to request a change in catalog year. All forms are available on Scholar on the Students tab. Online students may contact their Enrollment Specialist to complete the Online Student Change of Major form.

How do I submit an appeal?

To submit an academic policy appeal, students must complete the Academic Appeal form.  Extenuating circumstances, emails, or any other evidence in support of the appeal should also be included and submitted to registrar@shorter.edu.  Appeals of final grades must follow the final grade appeal process.  All forms are available on Scholar on the Students tab.

How do I confirm enrollment if I want a discount through my insurance company?

An enrollment verification may be provided to students to prove good standing with the University for insurance purposes. All forms are available on Scholar on the Students tab.


How do I access my unofficial transcript?

Students access unofficial transcripts on the Students tab, Grades & transcripts page in Scholar.  The link is on the top right.  Students with a Business Office hold cannot access unofficial transcripts.

How do I order an official transcript?

To order an official transcript, please visit www.shorter.edu/transcripts. Students can then create an account through our transcript provider, National Student Clearinghouse. Orders placed here can be sent electronically or through the mail.

Is my transcript official if I elect to have it sent electronically?

Yes, all transcripts released from the Registrar’s Office are official. However, if you order a transcript to be emailed to yourself and you forward the transcript to a third party, the transcript is no longer considered official.

Can I obtain a copy of my transcript from a previous school?

Shorter only issues copies of its transcripts. To receive a transcript from another school, contact the Registrar’s Office at that institution.


How do I apply for graduation?

There are two steps to applying for graduation:
  1. Submit the Graduation Application to the Registrar’s Office by the deadline indicated on the Academic Calendar. For traditional students, the Graduation Application must be accompanied by a signed and marked sequence sheet from your advisor. All forms are available on Scholar on the Students tab.
  2. Complete the Graduation Confirmation form in Scholar. This form is made available each January and graduates are notified via email when it is available.

When do I apply for graduation?

Generally, August and December graduates must apply in January and May graduates must apply in August.  See the Academic Calendar for specific deadlines.

How much is the graduation application fee and why do I have to pay it?

The graduation application fee is $125.  This customary fee goes to cover the administrative costs of degree conferral and graduation such as degree processing, diplomas, diploma covers, etc.  The fee does not include cap and gown.

I need a new copy of my diploma. How do I obtain this?

Complete the Diploma Replacement Form and send the form back to the Registrar’s Office. A $50.00 fee is required for all diploma replacements. A check made to Shorter University can be mailed to the Registrar’s Office or you may call the Business Office at 706.233.7222 to pay over the phone with a credit card.

Registrar’s Office Contact Information

Phone: 706-233-7205
Fax: 706-236-1514
Email: registrar@shorter.edu
Location: Sheffield-Thompson (ST-102)