- Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Early Childhood Education, Initial Certification, Pre-K -5th grade
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Special Education General Curriculum and Early Childhood Education, Initial Certification, Pre-K -5th grade
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Middle Grades Education, Initial Certification, Grades 4-8 Two of Four Content Areas Chosen: language arts, mathematics, social studies, and/or science
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts (B.S. or B.A., dependent upon content area), Secondary History or Math Education, Initial Certification, Grades 6-12, One Content Area Chosen: Mathematics or History
- Bachelor of Music Education (B.M.E), Initial Certification, P-12
The Post-Baccalaureate (certification only) programs provide individuals who hold an earned bachelor’s or higher degree, the skills, knowledge, and experience needed to begin a successful career as a teacher in one of the following fields:
- Early Childhood Education (Pre-K-5th Grade)
- Special Education General Curriculum and Early Childhood Education (Pre-K-5th)
- History (6-12)
- Mathematics (6-12)
- Middle Grades Education (4-8)
- Music Education (P-12)
Collegiate Music Educators’ National Conference (CMENC )/ American Choral Directors’ Association (ACDA) – The purpose of this ACDA student chapter is to foster and promote the activity of choral singing which includes the organization, development, and understanding of choral activities. Specifically, the Shorter University ACDA chapter searches to serve the surrounding community through choral-related activities.
NAFME – NAFME is an organization of American music educators dedicated to advancing and preserving music education and as part of the core curriculum of schools in the United States. Advisor – Dr. Dustin Burgess
Kappa Delta Pi (KDP) – International Honor Society in Education, was founded in 1911 to foster excellence in education and promote fellowship among those dedicated to teaching. For over a century, the Society has consistently grown, starting with a local chapter to become the international organization it is today, with an initiated membership that exceeds 1.2 million! Shorter’s chapter of Kappa Delta Pi, the Alpha Zeta Theta chapter, was founded in 2011. Advisor- Dr. Julia Houston
It is my pleasure to welcome you to Shorter University’s School of Education. We are a dedicated team of professionals with a passion for teaching and learning. With diverse backgrounds in teaching and administration in both public and private school settings, we strive to equip teacher candidates to meet the needs of all learners in today’s challenging classrooms.
Our candidates, or Teaching Hawks, have earned numerous accolades over the past several years. To date, Shorter’s School of Education has a 100% pass rate on the state mandated edTPA. Similarly, Teaching Hawks are sought after by local school systems and frequently land their first teaching jobs during student teaching. Many Teaching Hawks are collegiate athletes working hard to perform well on the field and in the classroom. Last, Teaching Hawks are also frequent flyers on the scholarship roster- Zell Miller Scholarship, Georgia Baptist Student Achievement Award, PAGE S. Marvin Griffin Scholarship, Sue Barrett Scholarship, Floyd County Retired Educators Scholarship, Delta Kappa Gamma Local Teacher’s Scholarship, and many more.
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about our majors and read the latest School of Education news on our website. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us. We would love to have you drop by to meet the members of our team. It’s a great day to be a Shorter Teaching Hawk!
Dr. Dana Cantrell King, Dean
Shorter University School of Education
Shorter College Middle Grades Education, Class of 1993
Meet Our Faculty