Welcome to the Department of Theatre at Shorter University! The department is a professional training program within the context of a liberal arts college. The faculty feels that the education of the whole artist, not just the actor, is vital to success in the professional world.
The program offers 3 degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts in Theatre
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatre
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theatre
Important Audition Dates
- Saturday, February 22, 2020
- Saturday, March 14, 2020
In accordance with the Shorter University mission of providing quality undergraduate liberal arts and specialized professional programs, the Department of Theatre will provide academic and professional training for students with a desire to perpetuate and promote the art of theatre.
Placing an equal importance on academic and artistic excellence — while seeking a balance between theoretical and applied material — the Department of Theatre presents a curriculum as well as a performance season which combine to prepare students for success in the world of professional performance. The Shorter University Department of Theatre equips its students with the ability to shape the future of the theatre.
In accomplishing this purpose, the Department of Theatre seeks to:
1. Provide a strong base of knowledge in theatre theory, history and literature.
2. Provide practical training in the skills needed to succeed as a professional theatre artist.
3. Provide production opportunities that demonstrate how theatre history and theory relate to and work in performance, and which present laboratory experiences for practicing and honing skills.
4. Encourage individual artistic and spiritual growth, and create opportunities for the exploration
and expansion of individual creative potential.
5. Provide varied, quality theatrical performances for diverse audiences.
*Fall Play: All My Sons
by Arthur Miller
Sept. 25-29, 7:30 p.m. nightly, 2 p.m. Sunday, Callaway Theatre
*Fall Musical: Death Takes A Holiday-The Musical
by Maury Yeston, Nov. 19-23,7:30 p.m. nightly, 2 p.m. Sunday, Callaway Theatre
*Spring Musical/Opera, Showboat
Friday-Saturday, Feb. 26-27, 7:30 p.m. nightly, Rome City Auditorium
*Spring Play: The Imaginary Invalid
April 21-24, 7:30 p.m. nightly, 2 p.m. Sunday, Callaway Theatre