- University of Georgia, Ph.D 1976.
Dissertation: “The Concept of Bienfaisance and the French Aristocracy of the Eighteenth Century”
- Emory University, M.A. 1965.
Thesis: “The Influence of Konrad Von Megenberg’s Awareness of a Lay Reader on the Second Book ofDas Pouch Der Natur.”
- Shorter College, A.B. 1964
Honors and Awards
- Vulcan Materials Company Teaching Excellence Award, 1993
- Shorter College Ty Cobb Education Scholarship 1963
- Shorter University 1965 to present with 4 years on leave to pursue the Ph.D.
- Humanities and Technology Association
- Treasurer, HTA 1994 to 1998
Grants Obtained and Directed or Participated In
- The Great Plains Experience funded by the NEH through Mid‐America University in conjunction with the Tri‐County Library, Rome, Ga.
- East‐West Relations in the Post‐Cold War Era, funded by the Georgia Humanities Council, 1991
- Local programs in connection with the Great Plains Experience
- History of Broad Street, with the Tri‐County Library
- Interview with World War I veterans
- Established the Lewis Lipps Ecology Lectureship for Shorter College
Director of Honors Program
- Led in the development of the program and directed it since its inception in 1985 until 2013.
- Organizing the Firm: The Role of Science in Modern Management. Pearson Custom Publishing 2006, Amazon Kindle 2010.
- Articles in Great Lives Series
- “Thomas Newcomen” in Great Lives from History: Inventors. Magill Press, 2009.
- “Eratosthenes”, “Eristratus”, “Hipparchus” and “Gratian” in Great Lives from History: the Ancient World. California: Magill Press, 1999.
- Ulfilas in Great Lives from History: Antiquity, California: Magill Press, 1989.
- “William Wilberforce” in Great Lives from History: British and Commonwealth Series, Magill Press, 1988.
• “Collaborative Learning: A Model for the Twenty-First Century” in Celebrating the Scholarship of Teaching: Honors Day Speeches, 1991-2000. Shorter College Publication, 2000.
- Institute of Professional Development at North Phoenix University.
- Modules for:
- Problems in United States History
- Critical Thinking
- Modern Science and Modern Business
- Modules for:
- Wodsworth Publishing Company
- Review of new edition of Upshur’s World History, third edition. 1998
- “Growing Explanations: Historical Perspectives in Recent Science by M.Norton Wise, ed. inInternational Social Science Review. Volume 83 nos. 1&2, 2007, pp. 104-106.
- “Industrializing Organisms: Introducing Evolutionary History vo. V. Hagley Perspectives on Business and Culture by Susan R. Schrepfer and Philip Scranton in International Social Science Review Vol 80, nos 1&2, 2005, pp. 77-79.
- “Lessons from Deregulation: Telecommunications and Airlines after the Crunch by Alfred E. Kahn in International Social Review. Vol. 80, no. 3& 4, 2005, pp. 172-74.
- “Theory and History in International Relations”. By Donald J. Puchala in International Social Science Review. Volume 79, nos 1 &2 2004, pp.78-80.
- “Marie Antoinette: Writings on the Body of a Queen.” International Social Science Review. Volume 79, nos 3&4, 2003, pp. 147-149.
- World Civilization to 1648
- World Civilization since 1648
- Classical Culture
- The Middle Ages
- Europe in Transition
- Early Modern Europe
- Survey of British History
- History and Philosophy of Science and Mathematics
- The Muslim World
- East Asian Civilization
- Introduction to Historical Methods
Work in Critical Thinking
- Presented a workshop, Teaching History as Argument. International Critical
Thinking Conference, Sonoma State U. Sonoma California (1994)
- Began teaching in the School of Professional Programs (1992)
- Faculty Retreat. Lecture:”Teaching Thinking Reeds” (1988)
- Member St. Peter’s Episcopal Church
- Sunday School Teaching
- Church Choir