Once you make it to your second semester, you might feel like school is a piece of cake. On the other hand, the second semester can make some students feel like they are struggling to recover from getting in the groove of being back to school. Here are some tips for students to ensure they enter second semester revived and ready to go!
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is so important for physical health, stress reduction and concentration.
- Visualize the future. Don’t only think about the here and now, think about what requirements you’ll need for the next steps you plan to take in your professional life.
- Always read course announcements and student email. You’ll never know the importance of information until you miss it.
- Make time to meet in person or virtually with your teachers! They know who’s really trying and who’s concerned about their grades.
- Participate in class discussions and offer feedback to support your peers. Not only does your professor notice the effort, but it could also be a technique to help you learn and gather information easily.
- If you don’t understand something, speak up. You’re the only thing that’s holding you back from doing better, and chances are, others have the same question.
- Look at your syllabus. Write important dates on a calendar or planner each week or month.
- Going to the gym or being active everyday allows you to have more energy even after a day at work or taking care of others.
- If you have a MacBook, turn off your text message notifications while you are working on coursework. Don’t let the temptation to check messages allow you to lose focus and impede your progress.
- Eat a balanced diet. As with exercise, a balanced and nutritious diet will help you remain focused and alert.
- Take your own notes for class even if the teacher posts them. This is an easy method to remember what you have learned.
- Remember why you are in school in the first place—to gain career skills to elevate you in your profession!
Think of the second semester as a new day, an opportunity for a fresh start and a chance to continue to follow your dreams. Make the most of it!