Because of the increase of online learning on college campuses, researchers have primarily concerned themselves with student perceptions to online learning. Others are concerned with the changes they would consider beneficial through the instructor’s perspective. Both groups want to determine the breakdown between the structure of online courses and student success. Therefore, we have provided five reasons why online learning works at Shorter University.
- Even though most students take online courses because they prefer to work independently, they always want clear and detailed instructions on every assignment. Our professors give their students just that through a detailed syllabus, instructions through the learning management platform and open communication.
- Our instructors understand that regardless of how technology is used, different students will respond in different ways. However, just as in a face-to-face classroom, our instructors incorporate a variety of measures to ensure that they reach all students in some capacity. Students are always going to take different psychological approaches to learning in every environment, and our instructors are prepared to meet a variety of needs.
- Our students do not have to use outside sites or devices to communicate with the instructor or fellow students in the course. They simply click a link that is already in the online learning platform and have immediate access to content, the professor and other students.
- SU professors partake in professional development. This allows them to become the academic leaders who learn the nuances of the online platforms and pass that information to their students.
- Colleges and universities around the world are embracing online learning as a prominent feature on college campuses, and SU is no exception. We offer a variety of online programs for Associate, Bachelor and Graduate Degrees.
Though teachers are in their roles in higher education because they have proven to be educators and experts in their field, their experience in the content also prepares them to be completely prepared for the world of online learning. For students who are going to enroll in online college courses, we encourage them to come with an open mind and ready to embrace a world of technology and a different experience than what they might be accustomed to in the classroom.