- Ph.D., Philosophy, Baylor University
- M.A., Philosophy, Baylor University
- B.A., Union University, summa cum laude
- Philosophy of Religion
- Christian Ethics
- Work and Calling
- Christ-Centered Critical Thinking
- Environmental Ethics
- Biomedical Ethics
- Introductory Logic
- Foundations of College Success
- 2018-present, Associate Professor, Shorter University
- 2013-2018, Assistant Professor, Shorter University
- 2010-2013, Instructor, Baylor University
- Baylor’s H.E.B. Foundation Faith and Learning Dissertation Fellowship, Baylor Graduate School
- Presidential Research Fellow, Baylor University, 2012-2013
- Academy for Teaching and Learning Graduate Fellow, Baylor University, 2012-2013
Awards and Honors (selected):
- Bringing Theory to Practice Seminar Grant, Association of American Colleges and Universities, 2014. Principal investigator, grant writer. Grant for Shorter University’s Quality Enhancement Plan.
- Outstanding Dissertation Award, Baylor Philosophy Department
- Conyers Graduate Scholar, Baylor University
- Bringing Theory to Practice Seminar Grant, Association of American Colleges and Universities, 2013. Primary grant writer. Grant for Baylor’s Academy for Teaching and Learning.
- Baylor’s Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award nominee, Spring 2012 and Fall 2011
- Dean’s Scholarship, Baylor Graduate School, 2007-2012
- Full Graduate Teaching Assistantship and Stipend, Department of Philosophy, Baylor University, 2007-2012
- American Philosophical Association Pacific Graduate Student Paper Award, March 2013
- American Philosophical Association Central Graduate Student Paper Award, February 2012
- American Philosophical Association Pacific Graduate Student Paper Award, April 2011
- Elizabeth Tigrett Medalist, Union University, 2007
Articles and Book Chapters (Peer-Reviewed)
- “The Role of Similar Vulnerability in Aristotle’s Account of Compassion.” Ancient Philosophy 38, no. 2 (2018), forthcoming.
- “Theism, Coherence, and Justification in Thomas Reid’s Epistemology.” In Thomas Reid on Mind, Knowledge, and Value, edited by Rebecca Copenhaver and Todd Buras, 213-231. Mind Occasional Series. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015.
- “Why Care for the Severely Disabled? A Critique of MacIntyre’s Account.” The Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 39, no. 4 (2014): 459-473.
- “Reconciling Robert Adams’ Accounts of Virtues and Motivational Virtues.” Southwest Philosophy Review 27, no. 2 (2011): 123-140.
- New Essays on Thomas Reid, ed. Patrick Rysiew. Journal of Scottish Philosophy 15, no. 2 (2017): 239-247.
- Bioethics for beginners: 60 cases and cautions from the moral frontier of healthcare by Glenn McGee. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics 35, no. 6 (2014): 469-472.
- A Virtue-Based Defense of Perinatal Hospice by Aaron D. Cobb. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics, forthcoming.
Conference Presentations (selected):
- “Reconciling the Food Chain with the Great Chain of Being: Or, a Philosopher Reflects on Raising Sheep for Meat,” Stewardship of Creation Conference, Baylor Symposium on Faith and Culture, Baylor University, Waco, TX, October 2018
- “Animal Knowledge, Rational Knowledge, and Theism in Reid’s Epistemology,” Biennial Meeting of the Baptist Association of Philosophy Teachers, Wingate University, Wingate, NC, October 2018
- “Making Sense of Thomas Reid’s Principles of Common Sense.” Center for the Study of Scottish Philosophy Spring Conference, Princeton Theological Seminary, March 2015.
- “Anselm’s Apophatic Ontological Argument?” Biennial Meeting of the Baptist Association of Philosophy Teachers, Baylor University, Waco, TX, October 2014.
- “Wise Ignorance: Wendell Berry on Living and Teaching with Propriety.” Sixteenth Annual Christianity in the Academy Conference, Memphis, TN, March 2014.
- “William Alston’s Defense of the Divine Mystery Thesis.” Southeast Regional Meeting of the Evangelical Philosophical Society, Birmingham, AL, March 2014.
- “Thomas Reid on Arguing for First Principles.” American Philosophical Association Pacific Division Meeting, San Francisco, CA, March 2013.
- “Wise Ignorance: Wendell Berry on Caring for Creation.” National Meeting of the Evangelical Philosophical Society, Milwaukee, WI, November 2012.
- “Does Theism Play a Plantingian Role in Reid’s Epistemology?” International Bicentennial Conference of the Center for the Study of Scottish Philosophy, Princeton Theological Seminary, September 2012.
- “Aristotelian Compassion.” American Philosophical Association Central Division Meeting, Chicago, IL, February 2012.
- “Wendell Berry on the Prudent Life.” Educating for Wisdom in the 21st Century University, 2011 Baylor Symposium on Faith & Culture.
- “Why Care for the Severely Disabled? A Critique of MacIntyre’s Account.” American Philosophical Association Pacific Division Meeting, San Diego, CA, April 2011.
- “Reconciling Robert Adams’ Accounts of Virtues and Motivational Virtues.” Baylor University Graduate Philosophy Colloquium, August 2011.
- “Does God Intend Everything He Commands?” National Meeting of the Evangelical Philosophical Society, Atlanta, GA, November 2010.
- “A Double Take on Double Effect: What Is the Principle of Double Effect Supposed to Establish?”Human Dignity and the Future of Health Care, 2010 Baylor Symposium on Faith and Culture.
- “Coherence and the Justificatory Role of Theism in Thomas Reid’s Epistemology.” Annual Conference of the British Society for the History of Philosophy: Thomas Reid from His Time to Ours, University of Aberdeen and University of Glasgow, Scotland, March 2010.
- “The Viability of a Divine Will Theory of Moral Obligation: A Reply to Robert Adams.” Eastern Regional Conference of the Society of Christian Philosophers, Wake Forest University, March 2010.
- “Closed Causal Systems and the Hume-Edwards Principle.” Midwestern Regional Meeting of the Society of Christian Philosophers, Oklahoma Baptist University, April 2009.
- “A Teleological Account of Time’s Arrow.” North Texas Philosophical Association, University of North Texas, March 2009.
- “Community, Human Nature, & the Care of the Severely Disabled: A Critique of MacIntyre’s Account.” International Society for MacIntyrean Philosophy Annual Conference, St. Meinrad School of Theology, August 2008.
- “Hanging from Edwards’ Infinite Chain: Is an Infinite Regress of Causes Possible?” Central Regional Meeting of the Society of Christian Philosophers, Union University, May 2008.
- “Divine Forgiveness and Reconciliation in Christianity: A Response to Nicholas Wolterstorff.” Third Annual Christian Scholars Forum, University of Texas at Austin, April 2008.
- “Life Is a Miracle: The Spirituality and Philosophy of Wendell Berry.” Pristine Harmony: A Conference on Christianity and the Environment, The MacLaurin Institute, The University of Minnesota, September 2006.
- “The Controlling Influence of Religion in Theoretical Thought: A Meditation on the Thought of Herman Dooyeweerd.” Eleventh Annual Christianity in the Academy Conference, University of Memphis, March 2006.
- Society of Christian Philosophers
- Evangelical Philosophical Society
- Baptist Association of Philosophy Teachers