- Ph.D., Old Testament, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, May 2018
- Th.M., New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, May 2016
- M.A., Biblical Studies, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, December 2013
- B.A., Religion and Philosophy, Shorter College, May 2010
- “What Happened In The Garden: A Spatial Examination of The Garden of Eden in Genesis 2–3.” PhD diss., The New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, 2018.
- Barnes, Cory R. From Creed to Canon: An Examination of the Influence of Creedal Language on the Transmission of the New Testament Text. Mountain Home, Ark.: Borderstone Press, 2014.
- Review of John Goldingay, The Theology of the Book of Isaiah. Journal for Baptist Theology and Ministry 12, no. 2 (2015): 67–69.
- Review of Butler, Trent C. Joshua 1–12. Word Biblical Commentary 7A. Journal for Baptist Theology and Ministry 13, no. 1 (2016): 102–104.
- Review of Butler, Trent C. Joshua 13–24. Word Biblical Commentary 7B. Journal for Baptist Theology and Ministry 13, no. 1 (2016): 102–104.
- Review of Schreiner, Thomas R. The King In His Beauty: A Biblical Theology of the Old and New Testaments. Review and Expositor 113 (2016):117–19.
- Review of Dozeman, Thomas B. Joshua 1–12: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary. Anchor Bible 6B. Journal for the Evangelical Study of the Old Testament 5, no.1 (2016): 75–77.
- Review of Hays, Richard B. Reading Backwards. Journal for Baptist Theology and Ministry 13, no. 2 (2016): 177–78.
- Review of Schipper, Jeremy. Ruth: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary. Anchor Bible 7D. Journal for the Evangelical Study of the Old Testament .
- Review of Bauckham, Richard. The Bible in the Contemporary World: Hermeneutical Ventures. Review and Expositor 114, no. 4 (2017): 601–602.
- Review of Bartholomew, Craig and Heath Thomas eds. A Manifesto for Theological Interpretation. Journal for Baptist Theology and Ministry [forthcoming].
- Review of Knapp, Andrew. Royal Apologetic in The Ancient Near East. Journal for Biblical and Theological Studies .
- Review of Porter, Stanley. Sacred Tradition in The New Testament: Tracing Old Testament Themes in the Gospels and Epistles. Review and Expositor.
- Review of Walton, John H. Old Testament Theology for Christians: From Ancient Context to Enduring Belief. Journal for Baptist Theology and Ministry.
- Review of Boda, Mark. Zechariah. New International Commentary On the Old Testament. Review and Expositor 116, no. 4 (2019): 487–88.
- Review of Harris, Anaka. Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind. Journal of Baptist Theology and Ministry [forthcoming]
- “An Examination of C.S. Lewis’ Till We Have Faces,” Celebrate Shorter Student Colloquium, Rome, GA, April 2010.
- “Recreating Creation Narrative: The Use of Genesis 1 in Jubilees 2,” Southwest Regional Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, New Orleans, LA, April 2015.
- “How Does a Kinsman Become a Brother?: Tracing the Expansion of Levirate Marriage from Deuteronomy 25 to the Book of Ruth,” National Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, Atlanta, GA, November 2015.
- “The Startling Elevation of the Son of Man: The Use of Ancient Near Eastern Intertexts in Daniel 7,” National Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, Atlanta, GA, November 2015.
- “Do You Hear What I Hear?: Texts of Canaanite Hearing in the Book of Joshua,” Student Theological Fellowship, New Orleans, LA, December 2015.
- “A Gospel Shaped Reading of the Suffering Servant Song: Applying Richard Hays’s Gospel Shaped Hermeneutic to Isaiah 53,” Southwest Regional Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, Dallas TX, April 2016.
- Moderator for the 2017 ETS Session “Old Testament: Holy War and Death.” National Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, San Antonio, TX, November 2016.
- “Baptists and Methodists and Presbyterians, Oh My!: Denominationalism as a Legacy of the Protestant Reformation.” Shorter University Reformation Day Symposium, Rome, GA, October 2017.
- “A Christian Approach to the Current Immigration Crisis.” Shorter University International Studies Panel Discussion, Rome, GA 2018.
- “An Eschatotelic Reading of the Old Testament: How Eschatological Expectations Lead to Christological Application.” SE Regional Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, Tigerville, SC. March 2018.
- “The Poison of Postmodernism and the Antidote of Fairy Story.” Cornerstone Christian Academy Guest Lecture, Rainsville, AL May 2019.
- “Reading Ahead: How OT Eschatological Expectations Lead to Christological Interpretation.” National Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, CA November 2019.
- Lead editor and contributor with Shorter University’s Transformed blog and podcast. (transformed.shorter.edu)
- A frequent contributor to the GA Baptist Christian Index (https://christianindex.org/author/cory-barnes/)
- Research Fellow at Trinityhaus forums (http://trinityhaus.org/research-fellows/)
- First Baptist Church of Cave Spring, Cave Spring, GA
Interim Pastor, December 2019–Present
- Woodlawn Baptist Church, Rome, GA
Interim Pastor, May 2019–November 2019
- Pontchartrain Baptist Church, New Orleans, LA
Interim Pastor, July 2015-February 2016
- Oak Park Baptist Church, New Orleans, LA
Minister of Education, April 2011-December 2011
- First Baptist Church Cave Spring, Cave Spring, GA
Interim Youth Pastor, August 2009–May 2010
- Hill City Baptist Church, Resacca, GA
Youth Pastor, September 2006–May 2009
- Alabama Baptist State Board of Missions
RA Camp Counselor, Summers of 2006–2009
RA Camp Director, Summers of 2010–2011
- Evangelical Theological Society: 2014–Present
- Society of Biblical Literature: 2016–Present
- NOBTS Student Theological Fellowship: 2015–Present