Intramural Sports Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  How do I sign-up for Intramural Sports?

Participants interested in participating in Intramural Sports can visit the Office of Student Life on the 2nd Floor of the Fitton Student Union.  Sign-up sheets for all open intramural sports, contests and events will be available.

Q:  What Intramural Sports are offered each semester?

Information on the sports offered during each semester can be found by visiting the Intramural Sports (Link) page and selecting the appropriate semester on the left hand side of the page.

Q:  Who is eligible to participate in Intramural Sports?

The following individuals are eligible to participate in Intramural Sports activities:

  1. Currently enrolled students
  2. Spouses of currently enrolled students
  3. Faculty and their spouses
  4. University employees and their spouses

*Note:  All participants in intramural sports, special events and contests must present their valid Shorter University ID in order to sign-up

Q:  Do I have to have experience playing the intramural sport I want to sign up for?

No, you do not need previous experience in the intramural sport or contest you wish to enter.  Intramural sports are about fun, exercise, building teamwork and leadership skills, and having a great experience.  All intramural sports and contests are open to individuals with all experience and talent levels.

Q:  I would like to play a sport but do not have a team.  How can I get on one?

Anyone who wishes to participate in a team event but does not have a team can visit the Office of Student Life to inquire about signing up as a free agent for the league you wish to participate in.

Q:  What happens if I do not complete the appropriate liability waiver and/or student-athlete participation permission form?

If a liability waiver is required to participate it must be completed and signed prior to participating in the activity.  Student-athletes must have their head coach fill out the permission form prior to competing for the protection of themselves and their team. 

Q:  As a student-athlete, why do I have to get a student-athlete participation permission form filled out by my head coach prior to participating in a physical activity offered by Shorter University Intramural Sports?

The primary goal of student-athletes at Shorter University is to excel both in the classroom and in their respective sport.  Every sport and physical activity offered by Shorter University Intramural Sports poses different physical risks that may endanger a student-athlete’s ability to participate in the sport they came to Shorter University to play.  By having the head coach approve every student-athlete’s participation in intramurals it protects the athlete from any penalties that may arise from a physical injury while participating, ensures proper communication between the player and the coach, and keeps the lines of communication open between the athletic department and student activities department.

Q:  How can I become an official for Intramural Sports?

Intramural Sports is looking for officials for various sports throughout the academic year.  No prior experience in officiating is required.  Each official must be able to run and perform the physical duties required of them during each game or contest, and must have good interpersonal and communication skills.  Officials in each intramural sport are paid $15 per hour.


Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.